Areas of Specialization
- Strategic business planning
- Business valuation
- Litigation support and expert reporting
- Federal, state, and local taxation of business, individuals, and trusts
As Founder of Lally & Co., John works directly with owners and top management of our clients in business planning and coordination engagements. He also oversees our business valuation and litigation support segment, along with expert testimony.
John began his professional career in 1978 with the Office of International Banking, within the U.S. Department of Treasury in Washington DC. He commenced his public accounting career in 1979 with the Pittsburgh office of PricewaterhouseCoopers, then known as Price Waterhouse. In 1983, he started his sole proprietorship that has evolved into Lally & Co.
In 1977, John received his Bachelor of Arts in Accounting from St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA. He received his MBA one year later from The George Washington University with a focus on Finance and Investments. In 1982, John successfully earned his Certified Public Accountant accreditation from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In 1987, he earned his Certified Financial Planner designation, in 2001, his Certified Valuation Analyst accreditation, and in 2009, his Certified in Financial Forensics accreditation.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- American Institute of CPAs, Member
- Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs, Member
- Standard AVB Finance Corp. - Director (2009-present)
- Saint Vincent College - Board Member (2018-present); Council of Advisors for the School of Humanities and Fine Arts (2004-2018)
- Benedictine Sisters of Pittsburgh - Investment Advisory Board (1999-present); Planned Giving Council (2010-present); Vice Chairman of Capital Campaign (2011-2014)
- YMCA of Pittsburgh, Metropolitan Board (2007-2011); Finance Committee (2009-present); Camp Kon-O-Kwee/Spencer Board, Chairman (2011-present); Treasurer (1996-2011)
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation; Steel City Committee, Member (2018-present)
- Saint Sebastian Parish's Pastoral Council (1999-2004)
- Saint Sebastian School's School Advisory Council (created in 2004; Chairman 2004-2007); Principal Advisory Board (2002-2004)
- Pennsylvania Distance Learning Charter School's Treasurer (2004-present)
- PICPA Pittsburgh Chapter Committee on Legislation, Chairperson (1997-2001)
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette, KDKA TV Channel 2, WPXI TV Channel 11, WTAE AM 1250 radio, and WVTY FM 96.1 on-air guest tax and related issues (1989-present)